Sunday, March 20, 2016

Spring Break Shenanigans

Happy Spring! It's 7PM and I can't believe how bright it still is outside! We are loving the extra daylight in the evening. It's definitely motivating for us and gets us to be productive and get extra things done around the house.


Since Colt had his Spring Break last week and my Spring Break was this week, it was a little bit of a bummer. This meant that we would be on opposite schedules and most likely wouldn't get to see as much of each other as we would like since Colt would be in class, study group sessions, group projects, etc during the week. This also meant no trip together since we didn't have a full week off together. 

Originally, we had planned for me to fly out to New York to meet up with Colt the Friday I got out of work for SB. That plan got nixed after I had a difficult week at work due to some unfortunate news I received. Besides, the week before SB was hectic as usual. Teachers had to prepare for Open House night as well as trying to still teach and keep 22 5 & 6 year olds actively engaged who are looking forward to having 9 days off from school! That my friends is no easy task!  By Friday at 3 PM I was so exhausted. My feet and back were killing me and I couldn't imagine dealing with packing luggage, driving in traffic to the airport, flights, and all the other normal stress that comes with traveling. Sometimes you have to listen to your body when your body is telling you it needs REST. So that's exactly what I did. Sort of... 

Colt ended his SB in The Big Apple. We have heard nothing but wonderful things about flying Virgin Airlines and we were thrilled when Colt told me he would be flying to NYC on Virgin. How cool! 

First time flying Virgin Air
Birds eye view of Manhattan
Times Square
Colt spent a few days in NY doing business with his Capital Markets Club. While they were there they were hard at work visiting the New York Stock Exchange and Bloomberg Business. TCU has given Colt and his peers so many opportunities. I am so proud of all my husband has accomplished in his first year of Business School or "B-School" as the cool kids call it. 

Colt's view from the top level of the Bloomberg building





Doing great things at the NYSE



Luckily for Colt, it wasn't all work and no play! While in New York, Colt had a chance to meet up for drinks and food with one of his good buddies from high school! We don't get to see much of our friend Graham since he lives and works in NY. I was happy to hear that they were able to have some guy time and catch up. 

Cheers to good ol' high school buddies. Graham and Colt. 

While Colt was in NY, I met up with my best friend, Coree for dinner. Unfortunately, due to our schedules we haven't been able to see much of each other. Having dinner together, talking and laughing was a great reminder that no matter how busy life gets, it's important to make time for friends. Especially for friends who are like family. It's definitely good for the soul. 

On the Monday of my SB I woke up and got this bright idea to redo my kitchen cabinets. I had been wanting to redo them for a couple of years now and I thought this was as good as time as any to get them done. I woke up, watched a few tutorial videos on YouTube then headed off to Home Depot. I love any chance for a DIY project. Little did I know what I was getting myself into! 

Redoing my cabinets was definitely a lot more work than I imagined it was going to be. Unscrewing and taking all the doors, hinges and drawers off was hard work enough. Then I had to scrub and wash off all the grease on each drawer and door. 9 drawers and 17 doors later I wanted to call it quits! I hadn't even started painting yet! We have a small kitchen so I figured it wouldn't be such back breaking labor but boy was I wrong! Next it was on to painting the first coats on the cabinet boxes, doors and drawers. It takes 2-3 hours for each coat of paint to dry. I soon found out this project was going to take longer than a day. I decided since I was on break to not kill myself trying to get the cabinets done quickly. I took plenty of breaks, naps, snack times and tv watching during this kitchen project. Which is also why this project pretty much last all week... 

Before

In progress



Even during all this work I managed to cook at least ONE healthy dinner this week! Go me! 

Buffalo Cauliflower Bites were a hit with the hubby!
My vision was to give our kitchen a "brighter" look. I think the light color of the cabinets makes our kitchen look bigger, light and airy. I was going for a vintage, "antique" look and I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out! 

Why yes, that is a Marilyn Monroe cookie jar
After
Even after long days at school, Colt was kind enough to drill and add the hardware to our drawers. We are still waiting for our knobs to be ordered and delivered. I think the drawer pulls and knobs will really complete the look! 


I can't say enough how glad I am that this project is complete. It looks very nice in the natural sunlight that shines in through the windows. We also hung up our new kitchen menu sign that has been sitting on our kitchen floor for 562773923002486 days. I find that keeping a weekly menu helps to keep us on track with making smart food choices and less likely to order food or eat out. Being organized is my favorite! With my full schedule and Colt's full schedule this really helps us. It also keeps me from stressing out after work trying to figure out what we are going to eat for dinner. 


Random news: I was able to take a break from painting and snag a free cone on free cone day at Dairy Queen. I call that a win! 


This week we also got to dog sit my family's dog, Benji. It was fun having a furry family member in the house. Benji absolutely adores Colt and cuddles up next to him any chance he can get! 


Friday and Saturday were spent shopping all day. Friday my mom and I headed to Southlake for lunch and cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory. We tried the Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake for the first time. If you have never tried it I highly recommend it!!! Afterwards we shopped around Southlake Town Square until late in the evening. After shopping, Colt met us at my parents house for homemade enchiladas and family time. Lots of laughs were had by all. 

Saturday morning my mom and I headed out for breakfast and an 11 AM movie. We went to see "Miracles From Heaven". If you're looking to for an inspiring, motivational and uplifting story, this movie is for you! Don't forget to bring some kleenex though, it's a tear jerker! Since we were already at the mall, we decided to make a day of it. We shopped at NE Mall the rest of the day. We had an early evening dinner before I headed home to meet up with the hubs. Colt and I spent last night hanging out and enjoying some quality time together. 

This morning we had our friends, Shane and Alyssa over for brunch at our house. Shane goes to school with Colt. Shane and Alyssa were recently engaged while in Chile during Christmas Break and were finally able to have them over to celebrate! 

Waffles, bacon, breakfast casserole, fruit and mimosas were on the menu this morning. I picked up these adorable bunny ear napkin rings and I was so excited to use them. I totally forgot to get a pic of all of us and didn't realize it until after Shane and Alyssa had left. 




A little bit of Easter front door decor

Chicken Tortilla Soup is cooking in the crockpot for dinner tonight as we prepare for a new school week. Our goals this week include getting to bed early and have enough hours of sleep, manage our time wisely and think positive! 


Feeling very rejuvenated after a much needed week off and having the chance to unplug and unwind. We are looking forward to what the new week has in store. I only have to work 4 days this week because we are off on Good Friday. Wishing you all an exciting new week as well! 

We love you all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment