Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Make the Rest of Your Life, the Best of Your Life

We've almost made it to the middle of the week! Only a few more days until the weekend!

Which brings me to my next point. Sometimes it seems like with the craziness of life and our hectic schedules, we are always looking forward to the weekend. Weekends mean possibly sleeping in, relaxing, hanging out, or doing something fun and exciting. For us, our weekends are hardly any slower than our work week. Usually, we are always on the go or we seem to always have something planned. The events of the last few days have helped to remind me that instead of looking forward to what's coming or what's ahead... I need to be more focused on the now. It's important that we are present in the present.

This past Saturday, for example, was filled with the hustle and bustle of events at TCU which included tailgating and football. We feel so blessed to have met some really awesome people in the MBA program as well as their significant others. Not only has Colt made new friends, but I have as well. It's really neat and exciting how we have all started to become a "family". The significant others that I have become friends with, also have husbands/boyfriends in the MBA program. It's nice to have a support group and be able to hang out with people who are going through the same things that I am going through. The ladies I have met are all beautiful (on the inside as well as the outside), supportive, strong women. It's incredible how God places amazing people in your life at just the right time.
Here i am with some incredible ladies that I have had the pleasure of getting to know! Spending the day laughing and enjoying ourselves is definitely a win.
 
Sunday was spent having lunch with Colt's grandparents, Herman & Lola. Herman and Lola have got to be two of the most nicest, caring, loving, welcoming and warm people I have ever met. Every time I am at their house or just around them, I feel love. They have lived through so much in their lifetime. Getting the chance to spend a few hours with them and talking with them and hearing their stories are moments I will always cherish. All of my grandparents passed away while I was still very young. I was one of those kids that wished my grandparents were around for holidays and "grandparents day" and things like that. So getting to have Colt's grandparents in my life is the sweetest! Sunday was a little reminder that family is everything.
Herman and Lola were ecstatic to take a "selfie". :) Adorbs!
 
 
Last night, I went to Target for a "quick" stop. I had lots of things on my agenda after work yesterday which included: Target, grocery shopping at Sprouts, working out and preparing dinner for Colt and myself. Well... it's like the saying goes, "You make plans and God laughs!" ;) While at Target, I ran into an old friend. We stopped and chatted for about 45 minutes or maybe even an hour when we were finally saying our goodbyes. I was getting ready to pick up my stuff (my purse and my carry basket) when I realized my purse was GONE! ::my heart started racing:: My whole life is inside my purse but, I didn't want to panic. First, we walked over to guest services to ask if anyone had turned in a purse. Long story short, no purse was turned in. I immediately knew my purse had been stolen right from under me! How could I not see this happen? I spoke with a manager about what was happening. I knew she meant well but she wasn't helping me at all. I had asked her to check the cameras and she replied that "the camera people were off today". WHAT THE HECK?! So she takes a look at the security cameras herself and comes back with no news. She explained that on the cameras you could only see the main aisle. At this point I'm freaking out on the inside but remaining somewhat calm on the outside. I immediately call the police and they are on their way. I call Colt and tell him to cancel all our cards and go to the house to pick up car keys because my keys were in the missing purse.
 
Time goes by and I'm still waiting on the police and Colt to arrive. In the meantime I am standing at guest services when all of a sudden, a frantic woman comes in through the exit doors and walks right up to me and asks, "Is this your purse?!" I was so shocked and dumbfounded. I couldn't believe what was happening. I was so happy about getting my purse returned. The lady somewhat explained what happened. She said her son had found my purse and she had put it in her cart and walked out of the store not realizing she still had it. I'm not quite sure I believe the entire story. Sounds a little sketchy if you ask me. Needless to say, I was just happy to have my purse back with all contents intact! Praise God!
 
The police and Colt arrived not long after that. I still filed a police report and the cards were still canceled. Better safe than sorry. Target and the police said to check back later to see what came up on the cameras, if anything. My guardian angel must've been looking out for me because WHO DOES THAT HAPPEN TO?!  
 
This evening was difficult. One of the sweet ladies I teach with at school had her son pass away unexpectedly on September 25th. Tonight was his memorial service. He died suddenly of a brain aneurysm. He was only 22 when he passed away and the story is truly heartbreaking. I was so proud of our school family for all that they have done for her and her family during this time. I work with some truly caring, wonderful people. Our school family showed up at the memorial serivce to show our love and support. I promised myself I would stay strong but the minute I heard his brother give the eulogy, I lost it. My heart hurt for my dear, teacher friend. My heart hurt for their grieving family. My heart hurt for his brother. During the eulogy, I began thinking of my own sisters and how hard it would be to live through something like that. Loss is never easy.
 
It's moments and events like these that bring everything into perspective. I am reminded to stop the complaining, stop the excuses, stop the need to impress people, stop the overuse of technology and stop looking so far ahead in the future, that I don't enjoy what is happening now. Be present in the present. I am going to make the rest of my life, the best of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment